The Art of Brazilian Romanticism is very well represented in Santa Catarina, by Victor Meirelles Museum. Inaugurated in 1952, in the month of November, the site belonged to the artist, that was the great icon of 19TH century painting. Located in the Centre of Florianópolis, It houses mainly works of Victor Meirelles, but it can also be seen works of contemporary artists, with temporary exhibitions at the Museum.
The venue, where was born Meirelles, It is a typical 18TH century mansion, which was threatened with demolition, but in 1946, the purchase of the property by the Union, authorized by the then President Eurico Gaspar Dutra, led to the tipping, in 1950. The building was then refurbished, keeping its original features and 21 works of the painter, representing its phases, were donated by Museu Nacional de Belas Artes, thus increasing, the acquis. Came to further enrich the collection, other works of the artist, donated by other institutions and private collectors.
The Museum was closed for further reform and reopened in 1994, with modern structure and space for temporary exhibitions of other artists. Was created a wide cultural, an urban design around the building and the Museum became a cultural centre, with educational projects in various areas of practice, as the music, the theater, dance and Cinema, Besides having a library and a cultural magazine.
Encompassing the various stages of the career of Victor Meirelles, the Museum presents the studies, that were part of your initial phase, paintings of the period in which the artist was in Europe, as a scholar and his best known works, as the first mass in Brazil, Passage of Humaitá, the battle of Guararapes and the Beheading of St. John.
You can browse the site and learn a little more about the artist, his works and the institution itself, with its events, its activities and workshops that promote the culture and stimulate knowledge about an old Brazil.
The Museum is located at Rua Rafael Bandeira, 41, in Florianópolis.
Liked? Leave a comment!
Come with us, Get the News by e-mail:
You might also like:
- Romanticism in Brazil by Rosângela Vig
- Romanticism by Rosângela Vig
- The Neoclassical Art in Brazil by Rosângela Vig
- The Rococo in Brazil by Rosângela Vig
- The Neoclassical Art by Rosângela Vig
- Rococo by Rosângela Vig
- How appears the Surreal Work by Rosângela Vig
- Baroque in Brazil by Rosângela Vig
- Baroque by Rosângela Vig
- Mannerism by Rosângela Vig
- Flemish Art – Renaissance in Northern Europe by Rosângela Vig
- Renaissance by Rosângela Vig
- The Contemporary, A little about the Urban Art by Rosângela Vig
- The Naive Art – Ingénue Art by Rosângela Vig
- Middle Ages, Byzantine Art by Rosângela Vig
- Middle Ages, Romanesque Art and Gothic Art by Rosângela Vig
- The Roman Art by Rosângela Vig
- Greek Art, Art History in Ancient Greece by Rosângela Vig
- The Egyptian Art by Rosângela Vig
- The Prehistoric Art by Rosângela Vig
- The beauty Art and the sublime Art by Rosângela Vig
- The Game of Art by Rosângela Vig
- The Misunderstood Art by Rosângela Vig