FILMS MADE BY WOMEN ARE THE HIGHLIGHT IN THE IMOVISION RESERVE
In the week that Chloé Zhao became the second woman to win an Oscar for directing, the platform debuts three feature films directed by women
Titles entering Friday 30 April are: I AM NOT A WITCH,
dirigido por Rungano Nyoni, SPLENDOR, da japonesa Naomi Kawase,
and INDIA SONG, directed by Marguerite Duras
Every Friday, to IMOVISION BOOKING includes new productions on the platform, grouped by topic
In addition to these, to IMOVISION BOOKING have in your catalog 50 productions of directors like Claire Denis, Nadine Labaki, Céline Sciamma, Liv Ullman and Lúcia Murat, in category THE DIRECTION IS THEY
São Paulo, 26 April 2021 - Delayed, but it finally happened. For the second time in its history, the Hollywood Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences awarded a woman an Oscar for directing: a chinesa Chloé Zhao, by “Nomadland”. Since the Time’s Up movement started, the pressure has been great to increase the number of films directed by women, and not only in Hollywood. Important festivals, as Cannes, Berlin and Venice, committed to the search for parity in their selection committees, among other measures. At this year's Sundance Festival, 50% of productions were directed by one or more women.
Every Friday, to IMOVISION BOOKING has new releases grouped by themes. This Friday (30), the theme is precisely MOVIES DIRECTED BY WOMEN. The chosen ones are:
- I AM NOT A WITCH (2017), dirigido por Rungano Nyoni, about a girl accused of being a witch in a remote village in Zambia. The feature caused a sensation in the Directors' Fortnight of the Cannes Film Festival and won the BAFTA Revelation award. UK representative chosen at Oscars 2019.
- SPLENDOR (2017), da japonesa Naomi Kawase, shows the list of an audio description scriptwriter, that help people with visual difficulties to accompany films, and an older photographer who slowly loses his vision. The production won the Ecumenical Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival 2017.
- INDIA SONG (1975) is directed by Marguerite Duras, one of the main female voices of European literature of the century 20. In the plot, Anne Marie (Delphine Seyrig), French ambassador's wife in India in the years 1930, relieves the feeling of oppression of life that leads to sleeping with other men. It was shown out of competition at the Festival de Cannes.
FILMS DIRECTED BY WOMEN IN THE IMOVISION RESERVE CATALOG
But these releases are not the only women-directed films available on the platform IMOVISION BOOKING. Among the more than 260 productions, there are dozens with at least one female filmmaker, that can be found in the category THE DIRECTION IS THEY:
DARK GIRL WALKS THROUGH THE NIGHT, de Ana Lily Amirpour
THE BRIDE OF THE DESERT, of Cecilia Atán and Valeria Pivato
ALICE'S ODYSSEY, by Lucie Borleteau
A JAPANESE STORY OF LOVE, de Sue Brooks
THE FRIENDS, by Lina Chamie
KEEP SMILING, de Rusudan Chkonia
THREE WORLDS, Catherine Corsini
MAY'S WEDDING, of Cherien Dabis
LET THE SUNLIGHT ENTER and MY LAND AFRICA, by Claire Denis
TO WAR IS DECLARED, by Valerie Donzelli
THE JUDGMENT OF VIVIANE AMSALEM, of Ronit and Shlomi Elkabetz
FOREIGN LAND, de Kim Farrant
THE MIDNIGHT CHILD, by Delphine Gleize
OH LUCY!, de Atsuko Hirayanagi
PUBLIC SQUARE, by Agnès Jaoui
FOR A WOMAN, by Diane Kurys
CANDY, by Nadine Labaki
OPEN HEARTED, by Marion Laine
INCH’ ALLAH, by Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette
DREAMS IN MOTION, by Anne Linsel and Rainer Hoffmann
THE SON OF THE OTHER, by Lorraine Lévy
EDEN, by Mia Hansen Løve
CAMILLE AGAIN, de Noémie Lvovsky
WADJDA'S DREAM, de Haifaa Al-Mansour
THE NUMBER ONE, de Tonie Marshall
THE PARTY PARTY, de Sharon Maymon e Tal Granit
JOY DOCTORS and WHO CARES?, from Mara Mourão
BRAVA BRAZILIAN PEOPLE, SWEET POWERS, IN THREE ACTS, TIDE, OUR LOVE STORY, THE MEMORY THAT TELL ME, by Lúcia Murat
CANIBA, by Verena Paravel and Lucien Castaing-Taylor
THE ETERNAL RETURN OF ANTONIS PARASKEVAS, de Elina Psykou
THE GERMAN DOCTOR, by Lucía Puenzo
PUPPIES, de Marcela Said
GIRLS, Celine Sciamma
KILL ME PLEASE, by Anita Rocha da Silveira
ASTRÁGALO, de Brigitte Sy
THE LIFE OF ANOTHER WOMAN, by Sylvie Testud
OR BANQUET, Daniela Thomas
MISS JULIE, by Liv Ullmann
CONFESSIONS OF A PASSIONATE YOUNG, the Sylvie Verheyde
THE BEAUTIFUL DAYS, by Marion Vernoux
AUGUSTINE, by Alice Winocour
INVISIBLE WORLD, with episodes by Laís Bodanzky and Maria de Medeiros
A IMOVISION BOOKING also brings to your subscribers, with exclusivity, two new series in Brazil, both with women among their directors:
- THE LUMINARIES, recently launched in the United States, has all six of its episodes directed by Claire McCarthy. Starring Eva Green, Eve Hewson (of “Behind Your Eyes”, success on Netflix) e Himesh Patel (protagonist of "Yesterday", by Danny Boyle), the series is based on the book by Eleanor Catton, vencedor do Man Booker Prize, and speaks of a novel written in the stars and lives full of mishaps in century New Zealand 19, in the middle of the gold rush.
- MYSTERIES IN PARIS is an anthology of seven episodes that takes place at the end of the century 19, when several crimes happen in known places in the French capital: o Moulin Rouge, the Eiffel Tower, to Opera Garnier, the Vendôme Square, the Louvre Museum, the University of Sorbonne and the Elisha Palace. All chapters revolve around female characters, and four of the seven episodes are directed by the filmmaker Léa Fazer.
To platform IMOVISION BOOKING will offer two modalities:
- Subscription - with access to all films on the platform
- Rent - rent any title during 72 hours, without having to be a subscriber
- Monthly signature: R$ 24,50
- Annual subscription: R$ 245,00
Promotional launch price for the annual subscription: R$ 211,68 - more of 10% discount. The price for subscription for the application varies depending on the operating system.
HOW TO USE
A IMOVISION BOOKING can be accessed by the computer, by phones and tablets with iOS or Android operating system and has mirroring function for SmartTV and Chromecast.
It is also possible to access the application on Smart TVs with Android TV system (Sony, TCL, Philco, Philips); sistema of the Year (AOC e Philips); Android TV devices (TV Box, Mi TV Stick, Mi Box, among others), Roku Express and Apple TV.
Present in Brazil for 31 years, IMOVISION is one of the biggest supporters of the best world cinema in Latin America, having released more than 500 movies in Brazil. Created by businessman Jean Thomas Bernardini, the distributor has in its catalog works by renowned foreign and Brazilian directors and award-winning features at the most important film festivals in the world, as Cannes, Venice and Berlin. Keeping your focus on quality titles, IMOVISION strengthened French cinema in Brazil and was responsible for introducing rare cinematographies and expressive international movements to the country, like Iranian Cinema and Dogma 95.
The distributor is the one that most launched French films in Brazil. Are 201 titles throughout their 30 years of existence. IMOVISION was the pioneer in bringing award-winning productions by French filmmakers to the Brazilian public, such as L.627 and WHEN IT ALL BEGINS, by Bertrand Tavernier, 8 WOMEN and POTICHE- TROPHY WIFE, by François Ozon, the animations KIRIKU AND THE WIZARD and Vidilili EM PARIS, by Michel Ocelot, beyond THE LITTLE NICOLAU and THE LITTLE NICOLAU VACATION, Laurent Tirard, BETWEEN THE SCHOOL WALLSand TOWARDS THE SOUTH, by Laurent Cantet, and THE SECRET OF THE GRAIN and BLUE IS THE HOTTEST COLOR, by Abdellatif Kechiche.
ENVELOPE TO RESERVE IMOVISION
A BOOKING IMOVISION gathers in a single platform a good part of the IMOVISION distributor's catalog, with more than 250 films already at its launch, in addition to unpublished features, new acquisitions and exclusive series. Every week, the subscriber will have new content. The forecast is to reach 1.000 titles by the end of 2021.